Wednesday, July 23, 2008

mmm tomatoes


While I adore a hamburger right off the grill or a juicy well-seasoned steak, in the summer tomatoes are at the peak of their season. So, I thought I'd share my favorite tomato recipe.

*And this is my kind of recipe-no measuring, no confusing instructions. You cannot mess it up, and it tastes delicious! (unless of course, you don't like tomatoes)

INGREDIENTS
Tomatoes--I prefer cherry/grape tomatoes and some of the little yellow pear-shaped tomatoes, but any ripe tomato will do
Fresh basil
Fresh homemade mozzarella cheese (NOT Kraft shredded, usually shaped in a ball)*
Extra virgin olive oil
Balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper

Slice tomatoes lengthwise and slice mozzarella into bite sized chunks. Chop basil into strips (or simply tear it into strips). Toss together in a bowl and sprinkle some olive oil over the salad. Add a small dash of the vinegar (a little goes a long way) and sprinkle a bit of salt and pepper over salad.
*You can replace the mozzarella with fresh grated Parmesan--it's a different taste, but still quite tasty

That's it! Pair it with some bread and you've got yourself a healthy summer meal.

Mmmm...

2 comments:

katy said...

add a little crusty bread on top (cut into pieces), and some salami, and you have the recipe I MADE FOR YOU :) (I use red wine vinegar/olive oil instead of the basalmic:))

katy said...

that would be balsamic! Sorry about my spelling