This morning I awoke to combination of my feet burning and itching. I looked down and saw two fresh blisters and several mosquito bites. Last night Steve and I walked up to Mt. Storm park prepared to read books and enjoy a picnic. Instead we were greeted by SWARMS of little gnats and mosquitos, and even some bees! My shoes rubbed my feet the whole way--thus the cause of this morning's new blisters.
So I hopped out of bed rather grumpy. After a shower which stung my blisters (I had to pop and drain them, of course!), I drove to work in an even grumpier mood. On my walk from the parking garage to my office, I started asking myself-why am I being SO negative? Blisters aren't so bad. A few mosquito bites aren't going to kill me.
I tell you what, there are days I just need a slap in the face to remind me to have a little perspective. Why is it so much easier for me to focus on the negative?
-I wish I made more money. I am blessed to have a job that provides me with plenty of money to clothe and feed myself. f I have more than enough to provide for basic necessities and am able to treat myself to many luxuries many people cannot afford.
-I need to lose 10 lbs. I am grateful for a healthy body. I am able to run nearly every day and have money to purchase healthy food.
-I hate these blisters and mosquito bites. I had a great time relaxing with Steve last night. How lucky am I to have him in my life?
-I hate having to work so many hours. I am thankful for a job that challenges me and is providing me with excellent experience for whatever I choose to do in the future. Many people in this economy are losing jobs, yet, I am blessed to be employed with plenty to do!
-It's so hot outside. I am thankful I can afford air conditioning to escape the heat. I am grateful I live close to swimming pools and know how to swim.
You get the idea. I know I can't just magically flip a switch and become the most optimistic person ever. But, before I open my mouth to complain, I want to try to use a little "perspective filter" and realize things are definitely not bad at all. Life is GOOD. I am BLESSED with friends and family who love me, an amazing little dog, an education--so many things that many people are missing. But, instead of waking up every morning and getting on my knees to thank God for my comfortable bed, air conditioning, LIFE, I gripe about how my feet hurt.
No more of this "woe is me" crap. I am one of the luckiest people I know.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment