Monday, July 07, 2008

The next time you begin to make a lawyer joke...

Consider this:

The average amount of law school debt owed at graduation soared 431 percent between 1987 to 2005, from $16,000 to $85,000...For some students, law school pays handsome dividends. With starting salaries at $160,000 and above at large New York City firms, even students who borrow $100,000 or more to attend law school reap substantial economic rewards. But most lawyers do not start at $160,000; the median starting salary at a two-to 10 lawyer firm is a whopping $110,000 less than at a Wall Street powerhouse [$50,000].*

-The New Math of Legal Education, Andrew P. Morriss and William D. Henderson, July 2008

I came across this article in my American Bar Association monthly journal and to be honest, the cost of my legal education weighs on me often. While consumer debt is one evil to be sure, the cost of higher education in America is getting out of control. I may not have amassed the average amount of debt as most law students, but that was only because I made a conscious decision to live with my parents and attend the University of Toledo. I could have attended a "better" school in perhaps a flashier city, but at what cost?

I don't know what the answer to the problem of soaring student loan debt in this country is, but I do know that this is not an issue that gets too much political attention (though, admittedly I may be misinformed!). Some entity is making a killing here-and I'm guessing it's all those loan consolidation companies that attack you once your grace period ends with the federal government.

The anxiety associated with my own student loan debt is exhausting. While I don't want to use it as an excuse, that large monthly payment is a huge factor that I always have to consider when I think about my future. It feels immobilizing.

My point in all this is that students should be better educated about the "cost" of their education. It saddens me to think of college freshman picking a major solely based on what job he/she can get after college to pay off that enormous debt. College should be a place where you learn how to learn; not where you pick up a trade. I'm so thankful I attended a liberal arts school and graduated with a degree in history/English rather than some degree that is essentially a voucher for a job. I'm a better writer for it. I'm a better lawyer for it. Mostly, I'm a better thinker for it (I know, that's debatable!).

America is the richest country in the world, yet we've created a higher education system that enslaves its graduates financially. People should be free to learn--and shouldn't be punished and targeted financially for their decision. And politicians should be ashamed for not investigating this issue more.

Anyway...sorry for the rant. But, just some food for thought the next time you think that lawyer you know is fancy and rich and lives a life of luxury. ;-)

*Starting prosecutors in Lucas County, Ohio (Toledo) make less than a starting teacher in a public school.

1 comment:

katy said...

Amen and Amen... Teachers are required now to continue education throughout their career. None of this is supported by the department of ed. creating this guidelines. In addition, teachers' pay is not exactly high, creating quite a bit of school loan debt for the average, non-inherited rich person.