I'm in the midst of reading Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. I'll save my review of the entire book when I'm actually finished with it, but I came across this passage last night:
Americans have an inability to relax into sheer pleasure. Ours is an entertainment seeking nation, but not necessarily a pleasure seeking one. Americans spend billions to keep themselves amused with everything from porn to theme parks to wars, but that's not exactly the same thing as quiet enjoyment...Of course, we all inevitably work too hard, then we get burned out and have to spend the whole weekend in our pajamas, eating cereal straight out of the box and staring at the TV in a mild coma (which is the opposite of working, yes, but not exactly the same thing as pleasure). Americans don't really know how to do nothing.
She writes this passage while retelling her time spent in Italy--a country whose people cleary grasp the concept of taking pleasure in doing nothing. I really think in America (particularly corporate America), we're often made to feel guilty when we are "doing nothing." We are expected to be available 24/7--via e-mail or text or fax. We can't go on vacation without our blackberries and laptops, constantly yanked back to the stress of work the way I yank my dog around on a walk.
When I came back from my European vacation in the summer of 2003, I was convinced I was going to finish law school, learn Italian, and move to Italy and just be. But, alas, I got caught up in to-do lists, and career goals, blah blah. I think what most attracted me to Italy was just the more relaxed culture. I'm certainly not promoting a hedonistic existence, and I don't think the Bible guides to seek pleasure at all costs; but, I also don't believe America's culture of greed and career success is the end goal.
So, yeah, this memoir is making me think about how I can better appreciate the beauty of doing nothing. (In Italian it's il bel far niente, a pleasure even to say it!).
At the very least, maybe I should learn Italian. It's been 5 years since I came back from Europe and I still haven't done that...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
liz, wouldn't learning italian become a to do list? JUST BE... maybe eat italian... :)
There is a language course for free on the Itunes podcast called "Coffee Break". It is amazing and has been helping me to brush up my horrible French.
Thanks for the tip! I will definitely check it out. But, don't they say the best way to learn is to immerse yourself? Maybe I just need a trip to Italy!
Immersion beats Itunes anyday! Go for it.
Post a Comment