Did you see the puppy in my sidebar today? Holy. Maybe the cutest puppy ever? Click on him for more pics-wow.
Speaking of dogs, on Sunday I ventured into PetSmart or Pet Co or whatever the name of the place there by Target on Ridge. They were having an adoption drive, coordinating with the local human society. All I needed was a bag of dog food.
But, I wanted to take all 7 puppies home with me! It literally breaks my heart that there are so many dogs without homes. Just sitting there in their little crates hoping someone finds them cute enough to adopt.
I know all of those dogs weren't just strays on the street. They were dogs brought into loving families and then abandoned for a myriad of reasons. The owners decided to have kids (and decided they didn't have time for a dog). The owners weren't consistent with housetraining and decided the dog could never learn to go to the bathroom outside. The dog was "too hyper" because the owners never took it on walks. The dog barked too much. Whatever.
Maybe I'm way off base. But, I do think many people and families who get dogs underestimate the level of commitment it takes. And then they are mad at the dog when he doesn't instantly resemble Lassie. Sad.
I am far from a model dog owner. My dog jumps on people and immediately expects belly rubs the instant you walk in my door. She barks at noises that I don't hear. BUT, I am committed to that wild beast. I will take her to the vet and squirt her with water when she misbehaves. I'll take her on walks and snuggle up with her when I watch tv. Because she is more loyal than any human I've ever met-and she loves me even more than I love myself! (and that's saying a lot ;) )
I've posted this quotation before, but it's one of my favorites:
We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It’s the best deal man has ever made. -M.Facklam

4 comments:
Ahhh did Fi get groomed?
She did! Thanks for noticing. :) Steve hates it.
I love your post. I watched Marley and Me on Monday, and the ending quotation is totally true! :)
my dogs are not dogs, they are children in furry bodies. :) and i love the quote!!
Post a Comment