Even with the new price of cigarettes (in NYC the price has risen to nearly $10 per pack), Americans don't seem to want to forgo their smokes. In fact, walking up Main Street to my office today I counted 14 people smoking.
Sick. I do not get it at all. I avoid eating in Kentucky because I hate smelling like a cig when I leave. Smoking is disgusting. I have done it twice. Both times I was under the influence of alcohol and still thought it was nasty. That someone would voluntarily (and soberly) smoke a cigarette is incomprehensible to me. Especially people my own age. Um, I'm pretty sure I grew up with the bombardment of information telling me how bad cigarettes are for me.
Obviously, it's the addiction that keeps the smokers around. This winter when it was -100 degrees outside (ok, not really, but it was freaking cold), I saw a man smoke a cigarette in about 40 seconds and run back inside. Clearly, he wasn't enjoying that cigarette.
Either way-it's disgusting, and now more expensive than ever.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Is the intention of this post:
a) to further convince yourself of the dangers and nastiness of smoking
b) to warn others of the dangers and nastiness of smoking
c) to condemn smokers as dangerous or nasty
d) ?
Hmm, none of the above I suppose. I read that article in the NYT this morning and was shocked at the expense of smoking. I mean really shocked. I thought it cost something like $3 or $4 a pack.
People can (and do) do what they want. It just surprises me that such an expensive, unhealthy habit is so popular. But, then again, the same argument holds for excessive drinking.
Post a Comment