Friday, April 03, 2009

Success

A few weeks ago, Jana convinced me to take Fi to the dog park down by Lunken airport. I really didn't want to go for a variety of reasons:

-Big dogs freak me out (I am still not 100% over this dog attack)
-Dogs wrestling around freak me out
-I would never use the word "calm" to describe Fi
-I knew I'd be a nervous wreck, and according to the Dog Whisperer, Fi would then absorb my nervous energy-making her a nervous wreck as well.

I figured the above was not a good combination. But, I also know that Fi used to be a very well-socialized dog back when I took her to obedience classes. Since then, I try to avoid other dogs at all costs, and I think it has made her kind of crazy.

So, we went to the dog park and played in the little dog area. She was fine for a while. Then she and another dog got in a little tussle. It wasn't a fight, and most dog owners would probably be fine with a little wrestling and growling, but I haaated it because I don't know what to do. Not to mention the yuppie owner of the troublesome cockapoo said "Can someone get that dog?"-referring to my precious Fi! I totally felt like the over-protective parent and wanted to give that woman a piece of my mind, but instead we exited the dog park-ashamed.

Fast forward to last night. Steve really wanted to take Fi to the dog park. (I think he wanted to see her wrestle another dog!) So we went to Mt. Airy park and it was amazing! There was only one other dog in the small dog area (actually a dog too big for that area) and she was another terrier. No scuffles or fights. Fi was worn out running around and had a great time. It was perfect-for both of us to kind of ease back into socializing with other dogs.

Steve wanted to take her in to the big dog area, but I didn't think I could handle that. Baby steps. One last thing-it was so fun to see dogs running around without leashes. Fi looked like she was having the time of her life running around free. It was great.

5 comments:

Jamie said...

Aww, Fi! There is a new dog park in Newtown that looks really cool. If I had a dog, I'd totally go there.

jmjana said...

yay fi!! and yay liz!

Michael Joseph Sharp said...

So, if I understand your post right, .... you ventured into the Westside (Mt. Airy) to walk your dog???

That's two times that Steve has come to the better side of Cincinnati. Hmmm.....

Sarah said...

we love the dog parks up here! although i still stress a little about one of them being injured. but we go all the time! a nice outlet for their energy. :) yay, fi! gettin back into socializin ;)

katy said...

good job, Fi!!