Last night, after I had gone to bed, I received two text messages from my sister telling me a friend's dog had run away or somehow gotten out of the fenced yard. I love dogs. I think they exhibit behavior that is the closest thing to unconditional love we will ever witness on this Earth.
The thought of this little dog being out alone overnight made me cry. So I hugged little Fi close and prayed for that dog's return. Silly, you say? Perhaps. Irrational? Maybe.
But, you see I believe God can do everything. Yet, generally my first reaction to crisis (and yes, a dog running away is a crisis-get your priorities in line!) is to panic. My next step is to determine my alternatives and how I will handle the situation and what I will do to fix it. I don't go to God with my crisis until I've exhausted all of my resources. Then I hand it over and say "God, fix it!"
That is a silly approach. But, in our present day, faith that God can work miracles (and still does today) is considered kind of silly. It isn't logical. I've always felt my issues and circumstances weren't "important" enough to really matter to God. Who cares about a little dog running around when we've got a financial meltdown, a war, and hardship internationally.
But, Scripture tells us everything is possible for him who believes. Have a childlike faith-believe that God can do anything. Today we've made God so "relatable" to non-Christians, that we've taken away the awe, power and wonder of God. By trying to figure out God and make Him easy to explain, we've humanized him-and in doing that we've put the lid on hope.
Yes, God is not a wish-granter. But He can do everything. That dog may not ever return to his happy home-but that isn't because God can't do it. And my prayers aren't silly or worthless or a waste. Believing God can do anything and going to God with everything (even the little) is never a waste.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
not to get technical, but fi was in MY bed last night, and i dont remember you coming in and hugging her :) although we both know, you may have an i just slept through the whole thing.
so is the dog back?!?!?!?
I'll be praying for the pup's return.
Um to be technical I prayed for the doggie when I woke up to go running...Fi was outta your bed and prancing around waiting to be taken outside ;-)
Post a Comment