Thursday, October 09, 2008

ready, set, go

I remember this one track workout we would do every year in college. It involved running 20 x 400 meters. Grueling. Unenjoyable. And with minimal rest between each interval. But, we'd tough it out and geez, I was in the best shape of my life then-and didn't even know it!

So because my 3-4 mile daily runs are not causing any major transformation to my body, I decided last week I need a race to train for. I'm training for the Miamisburg 8K Turkey Trot. (8K = 5 miles) I want to run it fast-not just finish.

I am following a little training program. This morning I had to run 6 x 400 meters. A far cry from my days of running 20. And you know what? I AM EXHAUSTED. I did my 2 mile warm up, ran my 400 meter intervals with one minute rest in between and made it back to my apartment, but wow. I have a lot of work to do before November 27.

It makes the training way less dreadful, though, having a goal.

All I'm saying is it's crazy how old my body feels some days. I wake up at 5:30 to run (ok, that's when my alarm goes off, usually I roll out around 5:55). My neck is stiff, my feet are sore from walking in those ridiculous heels to court. My muscles stay tight much longer. 8 years ago, I never even stretched when I'd get done running (or before). I can't wait to see how I feel at 40!

:-) Truth be told, I'm really lucky I am healthy and able to run. Thank God for that! And I can't wait to tear up the Turkey Trot Race... mostly so I can have an excuse to consume ten bagillion calories at Thanksgiving dinner.

1 comment:

katy said...

I need to start training!!! I will never keep up! :)

Go running girl