Thursday, October 23, 2008

For Sale

While I don't really like to talk about work too much on my blog for fear that the powers that be may read this-I do work with real estate. Add that to the recent market down-turn and I'm starting to think buying a house would be a smart idea.

In theory anyway.

You see, I don't understand how so many people who make way less money than I do can buy homes. And big homes, no less. I watch all the great HGTV shows like House Hunters and My House is Worth What? and I see people who make less than I do buying homes worth LOTS of money. (Maybe that's the very reason I have my job...but, I digress).

I also wonder where so many young people get the money to put a down payment on a house. For example, most of my friends from high school and college own homes. How in the heck did they manage to save 30K for a down payment while also paying off school loans? Maybe their parents helped them? Inheritance? Bank robbery? I'm not sure. But I do know I have nowhere near enough saved for a down payment, thus I would likely be stuck with a PMI if I decided to purchase a home.

So here's what I'm thinking are the pros of me buying a home:
1. Investment potential. Odds are good the market will go back up, thus housing values will increase. If I can live in a house for 5-10 years, I could likely sell it for a decent profit-which could be used to pay off or at least pay off a huge chunk of my daunting law school loans.
2. A yard for Fi!
3. A place to park. I have been known to cry while trying to parallel park. I've also been known to get reeeeeaaally mad while driving around trying to find a space to squeeze my little Saturn into.
4. A place that is mine. I can paint, decorate, renovate, landscape all I want. I actually like doing yard work. I like planting flowers and gardens. I like mowing the grass. Those are not negatives for me.
5. I could actually have furniture. I own the following: 1 bed, 1 dresser, 1 disgustingly old nightstand, 1 fantastic ikea chair. It would be nice to grow up and decorate the way I like.
6. Did I mention parking?

While those all seem nice, truthfully the thought of buying and owning a home nearly induces a panic attack. Here are the cons:
1. A mortgage. Unfortunately, I cannot pay for a house with cash. Thus I would be a slave to my mortgage company-and a slave to property taxes. I hate the idea of taking on more debt. While I won't have credit card debt (soon!), I still do have student loans. I don't know if I can, in good conscience, take on another sizable chunk of debt.
2. Neighborhood. I am very particular about where I'd like to live. I don't want to have to drive 30 minutes to work. There are probably only 3 areas I'd even consider buying-and they are all very expensive. Is it worth it?
3. Things will go wrong. Hurricanes happen. (Even in Ohio). Pipes get old. Windows need replaced. Faucets leak. Those are all repairs which would require me to hire someone to fix. That is costly. However-at least I could hire someone competent, which is not the practice of my current landlord. (Do not even get me started on the heat situation. Apparently some apartments are filled with smoke and others steam. They have been working at it for 4 days. I fear for my little Fi as I type this.)
4. Being on my own. Completely. Now-don't get me wrong. This seems very attractive to me. But, I need to be realistic. I will have to take out the trash, kill bugs, unclog drains, remember to lock the doors, remember not to lock myself out (this is huge). Will I be scared to be alone at night? Feel safe? I think I would-but definitely something to consider.

There are just my random thoughts... Obviously I'm in a lease until August, so I'm not going anywhere right now. But, the thought is in the back of my head. Mostly because I know someone who is always e-mailing me links to homes for sale! :)

What do you think-homeownership, yay or nay?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY! Although some days I hate being a homeowner, the thought of going back to an apartment is repulsive. It is best done probably with someone else.. but still worth it if you are on your own!

Steve Fuller said...

Depends on the person. As I have said to a million people, I love my neighborhood (which I could never afford to buy in). I love being able to walk to IGA, a movie theater, Graeter's, CVS, multiple coffee shops, restaurants, bars, etc. To each their own, but the 'burbs are boring to me. I also walk to work, which is nice.

I also pay less for my place than most people pay for a mortgage, so I guess I don't have an "investment," but I save money every month when I write my rent check. I have no lawn to mow, no repairs, no furnace to replace. Plus, I love my place. You just ended up in an apartment with crazy neighbors and a crappy landlord. I never hear a peep from my neighbors and my landlord is very nice and on top of everything. And there are lots of rental houses and apartment complexes with yards. Just have to prioritize what you want and find those things.

I personally think it is crazy that people buy huge houses and live there by themselves. Seems like a waste of money and space. I have a studio because it would be silly for me to have two or three bedrooms. What would I do with them? Buy furniture so it collects dust? I can clean my whole apartment in a couple hours. Plus, I have zero stress related to where I live. People who own houses seem to be stressed out all the time.

Anyway, I rambled a lot, but I always think it's silly when people say you just HAVE to buy a house because renting is silly. I look at where those people live and would rather live on the surface of the sun. Nothing against them - we all make those choices for ourselves, but buying isn't a better option just because it is part of the flawed American dream.

I wonder how all those real estate investments are working out for people right now.

Annie Michael Murphy said...

Fuller, just wondering how your neighborhood is different than mine? And why are the burbs boring?

Steve Fuller said...

Annie,

I like being able to walk to stuff. From what I remember of your neighborhood, you pretty much have to drive to go anywhere, right? Nothing wrong with that, I just prefer being able to walk. A couple weeks ago, I actually drove once in nine days! I can walk to work, the grocery, library, restaurants, bars, etc. Most people in the 'burbs can't.

Boring in the sense that most 'burbs are fairly segregated. My neighborhood has rich, poor, homeless, white, black, pretty much any nationality you can imagine, gay, straight, etc. I think it is interesting to be surrounded by people who are different from me. Again, not saying that is "better," but I grew up in the 'burbs, and all of our neighbors were exactly like us.

Of course, I am single and have no kids. If I get married and start pumping out little Fullers (God help us all), I am sure my opinion would change as I prioritize my life differently. I'm just not sure why a single woman would buy a house in the 'burbs, but like I said, to each their own.

Anonymous said...

very popular site you have done good maintained to this site.

agirloutthere said...

Evidently Liz, you should buy in Spain.

You probably have an idea of my position on home ownership, as we are trying to sell in a down economy. If you really want to learn more about my thoughts on home ownership, call me, we can chat over coffee, or whatever!