Thursday, May 17, 2007

False Prophets

15"Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves.
Matthew 7:15

I think it is be difficult to discern God's will in our lives when we are surrounded by false prophets, offering advice, selling books, etc.

I've found that when I make a decision in my life that I feel like is God's will, the critics and false prophets seem to appear out of nowhere. And they are smart. They know how to offer advice in a way that makes it sound like it's coming straight from God, rather than serving their own selfish motives. They can twist around Scripture to make it appeal to whatever theory or outcome they would like played out.

But, I think there are ways to ward them off...to discern between a friend God is using to speak truth to you and a friend who is a false prophet--giving advice only for personal interests.

First, we have to remember that the Scriptures are truth. No well-written book or incredible sermon will ever stand next to the Bible. Just read it. Understanding Scripture in its context makes such a huge difference in being able to discern how another is using Scripture. Anything other than Scripture, while helpful/insightful, must be read and interpreted with a critical eye (or ear). Authors, even Christian authors, have personal motives just like the rest of us.

Second, in order to be aware of false prophets, we have to immerse ourself in a study of Scripture and of God, so that we can know how God uses man. The closer we are to God, the better we will be at deciphering between a false prophet and a genuine call from God.

Third, I think we have to question (on some level) advice given to us by our friends, spiritual leaders, etc. Is their advice motivated and supported by Scripture, or is it purely selfish? Do they have their own interests in the decisions/actions you are doing? This is hard.

Don't get me wrong, I have read books (other than the Bible) that have changed my life. I daily get advice from friends that is more powerful than I could have tried to figure out on my own. I believe with my whole heart that God uses other people in our lives to reach out to us and express his will for our lives. He uses people to hold us accountable for our actions and to live out our mission in life.

But, we have to be careful of false prophets. We have to always be discerning in the advice we follow and the theories to which we adhere. They must be supported by Scripture because Scripture is truth. Always.

1 comment:

Steve Fuller said...

I agree...Jana is a false prophet.