17"When he came to his senses, he said, 'How many of my father's hired men have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! 18I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. 19I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired men.' 20So he got up and went to his father.
"But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.
21"The son said to him, 'Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.'
22"But the father said to his servants, 'Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. 23Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let's have a feast and celebrate. 24For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.' So they began to celebrate.
Luke 15:17-24
When I was in college, I went through the worst break up ever. It was the worst I have ever felt, with nothing even close to comparison. I remember thinking that the way I had my life planned out was nothing like how it was going to be from then on. Then my sister sent me a package in the mail with Where the Wild Things Are in it. I thought she was silly sending me a children's book...but in the front cover, she left me the sweetest, most thoughtful and heartfelt note I have ever received--no matter how wild your life gets, or how far you wander off, you can always come home to me and your family who will always love you.
I'm sure you remember the story of Max and his escapade to the land of the wild things, only to end up longing for home and his supper. And he returns...and his dinner is still waiting for him, not cold, but just perfect.
I think we all have our own wild "escapades" where we decide to do things on our own, for ourselves and think that somehow we can figure out stuff without anybody's help. And, generally, it backfires. We end up feeling hurt, lost, confused, frustrated, and tired of being among the "wild things" and ready to return home.
I love that we have a God who is always waiting for us, patient while we live amongst the wild things in our life. I love that He can turn the junk and hurt into good. The other night, I had the opportunity to share some of my own "wild" escapades with a friend who suggested that people liked to talk about being "real" but never really seemed real. So, I just poured out the gory details. And I also poured out how much I have changed, how much my own heart has been transformed by a God who is ALWAYS waiting there, ready to accept and forgive. And I really think God used some of the junk I keep stored away to connect with her, to show her that she's not alone in her brokenness.
I just think that's really cool. :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment