Tuesday, May 01, 2007

A Brilliant Disguise

So tell me what I see
When I look in your eyes
Is that you baby
Or just a brilliant disguise

-Bruce Springsteen, Brilliant Disguise

Sometimes I think we are all big liars. We're so good at creating the image of ourselves we want people to see. We say the right things, make the right jokes, tell the right stories, and let people in just close enough, without letting them really know us.

I am definitely like this. I let some personal stories out here or there, but not the really awful, embarrassing, shameful ones. I don't mind if people know I struggle with certain things--but not other things. I'm honest to a point, but the rest I keep to myself--known to no one.

And maybe this is why it's so hard to understand each other sometimes--because we're so caught up in playing the reputation game, in creating an image of ourself that's admirable and likable that we never quite know each other well enough to effectively encourage and support.

We spend so much time fixated on this brilliant disguise. We're careful about what we say and do around people and very prudently release personal information. Because, the less somebody knows about me, the harder it will be for that person to hurt or reject me.

We go around living in fear that one day we'll let someone in--and he or she will bail. It's ironic because while I long for someone to really know me and care for me, I am so unwilling to shed my own brilliant disguise.

If we really desire to be known and understood by people, why are we so afraid to let our guard down and be vulnerable/our true selves?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bruce is the man. He knows how humans are... kinda like Jesus.

Plus, he had an album with his but on the cover...