Thursday, February 19, 2009

I'm just wondering...

Why do we not use umbrellas in the snow? This morning, I walked out of my apartment having a good hair day. Now, this is rather rare for me-I have thin, fine hair. It hardly ever looks great, and usually looks ok. I drive to work (after trying to pry my right windshield wiper up that is STILL stuck from the snow storm weeks ago) and sit in the parking garage contemplating whether it's appropriate to use an umbrella on my trek up Main Street to my office.

I decide it's not. But, why? It's wet just like rain. But no one uses an umbrella to keep themselves dry. They wear hats-which make my hair look even worse than being wet.

Strange. Maybe I will start a trend.

Imagine my surprise when I was searching for "snow umbrella" in google images and came across this fantastic NY Times article describing my exact predicament! Clearly, I am meant for urban NYC life, not the midwest!

3 comments:

katy said...

ha ha! I just flipped up my hood and walked in to work... as the students laughed at me :)

Steve Fuller said...

I use an umbrella when it snows. I noticed I was literally the only one during our last snow storm.

Kristen Robbins Warren said...

so interesting! i have this struggle all the time!! i love when the snow falls, but since i walk nearly everywhere, if i don't have something on my head, i am literally soaked by the time i get there. the city has perhaps jaded me a little--or at least made me more prone to dress for the weather: i wear rain boots, snow boots and an ankle length down coat. maybe i need to move to california. but you should move to nyc. then you could be a high powered lawyer like ellen parsons. (not that i would wish her life experience on anyone.) do you watch damages??? SO. GOOD. ok. i've written a book as a comment. enjoy your day:)