Monday, March 05, 2007

When the New Wears Off

Is there such thing as "happily ever after"? I am feeling more friendly toward the opposite sex than I was maybe 2 months ago...but, I still am clueless as ever. I think my problem is how does the passion ever last beyond the infatuation stage? I mean can you really deny that a lot of the fun of dating/relationships is the "getting to know you" phase. It's exciting, it's new, it's fun, kind of awkward, but thrilling too.

One of my biggest fears, maybe the biggest, is that I will end up in a marriage devoid of passion. As much as I desire somebody with whom to share my life, it seems worthless if we aren't crazy about each other. Is this impossible? I mean does anybody really fall deeper in love with their spouse as time goes on? I guess I'm just not around relationships like that very often.

Instead, I see marriages where spouses can't communicate, and the very behaviors that they used to think were cute, now infuriate them. The romance fizzles and routine sets in. This has happened to me in relationships that lasted 2 years, let alone a lifetime! And, honestly, when relationships get to that point, it just seems to me to be the breeding ground for cheating and other kinds of dishonesty. We like the comfort of a relationship, but don't want the work to maintain a certain level of passion.

Relationships are hard work, to be sure, but I think it would be awesome to keep the excitement even after the "new-ness" wears off. And maybe someday I'll eat my words (when I'm still living alone at 40 with my dog), but I don't think I want it any other way.

No comments: