Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Which is better, number 1 or number 2?


I went to the eye doctor for my yearly appointment after work today.  I always get nervous at the eye doctor-like I'm going to fail the test. I had to take this peripheral vision exam and I was for real nervous I would miss one. I asked her if the patients at the beginning of the day tend to do better than those that come in after a day of tiring work. She looked at me like I was a moron and said "just click when you see the blinking light".

Surprise surprise my vision continues to get worse. I am extremely nearsighted but, I can see up close very well! I am in need of a new pair of glasses, so I let my doctor know that and I think as soon as I said that, I turned into a giant dollar sign. 

I have pretty decent eye insurance, but I can either get glasses or contacts, not both. This time I opted for the glasses because they are more expensive. And expensive they were! I left there dropping $264 on my glasses and "contact fitting" (whatever the he** that is, I have been wearing contacts for 14 years, I'm well aware of how they fit). This was after I denied the transitions lenses and anti-glare finish. Pre-insurance costs was something close to $650! 

I kept stressing to the lady helping me select frames that I would only be wearing these before bed or early in the morning, but I still ended up going for the "lightweight materials" upgrade and designer frames! She only showed me designer ones and convinced me that with my prescription, if I didn't go with the lightweight materials, my glasses would weight 50 lbs. 

I feel so taken advantage of--who knew even eye doctors will try to rob you of your money. I can only imagine how awful it is for someone without insurance!

*And I am secretly excited for my new specs, it's been 12 years since I had new frames!

2 comments:

katy said...

4 eyes!

AT least you have eye insurance. I have none, and the cost is absolutely outrageous!!

Matt said...

Robbing the blind... Lame I know, but it was just there