At Monroe High School, the cheerleaders are no longer allowed to wear their skirts to school on game days unless they wear shorts or leggings underneath. Apparently this is causing quite a stir in that community. I've heard about it on the news, read an article here, and this morning on my way to work, the radio station I listen to was going nuts about it. (The store has attracted nationwide attention.)
I think it's kind of funny. You'd think parents would want their children in less provacative attire, but nope! The parents of the cheerleaders bombarded the Board of Education at its meeting last night to try to allow an exception to the dress code (which provides that skirts can be no shorter than 3 inches above the knee) for cheerleaders.

I'll say this-young adults today wear extremely revealing clothes. There is no place for this in school. Honestly, I've never been a fan of uniforms at public schools, but walk through a high school--it's NUTS what students (particularly girls) wear. Short jean skirts with thong underwear, halter tops, spike high heels, low-rise jeans with their thongs hanging out. It's overly-sexualized and way too young. We should be protecting the young women in our life from ogling perverts instead of encouraging them. I don't think asking cheerleaders to wear leggings under their skirts on game day is asking too much.
Besides, welcome to the real world. You can't go to a professional job and dress inappropriately. I can't go into a court room with a suit and no shirt underneath my jacket. I'm pretty sure they'd kick me out. Dress codes exist for a reason. The bigger, and probably harder issue is actually fairly enforcing them. Sorry cheerleaders, but I have no sympathy for you!
My favorite was this morning a 20 year old man called in the radio show and said that when he was at Monroe High School he always looked forward to game days and seeing the cheerleaders because of the tradition. Riiiiiiight.
2 comments:
I totally agree with you that girls are becoming provocative dressers. It seems that little girls are being encouraged to be mini teenagers instead of being children. I do think it comes back to parents setting limits and not letting their daughters wear revealing clothes and as a parent of a little girl, I can tell you it is getting harder and harder to find appropriate clothing.
I know, this is an odd question/comment. Why do cheerleaders exist anyways? I don't get their purpose other than cheering at football/basketball games...and isn't that the audience's job?
Post a Comment