Friday, August 08, 2008

Olympic Fever


Tonight the 2008 Summer Olympics begin. I cannot wait. Growing up, the Olympics were always a big deal in my house--probably because it was the only time the whole world got excited about sports like Track & Field and swimming.

So taking a look back in time...

4 years ago, I was IN GREECE for the start of the Olympics. I was "studying" abroad for law school on the island of Rhodes and spent the end of my trip in Athens. In fact, if memory serves me correctly, I spent two days in Athens with no hotel and no sleep. Yikes.

8 years ago, I was getting ready to head back to Wooster to begin my sophomore year of college--and to begin a week of grueling cross country camp. I had finally settled on a major, History, and a minor, English.

12 years ago, I was preparing for my sophomore year at Southview High School. This year would prove to be one of my favorite years in my high school "experience". That summer I had an Olympic swimsuit that had shiny silver torches and had "Atlanta 1996" written on it. Yeah, no Olympic swimwear this year.

16 years ago, I was just starting 6th grade. Mr. Meyers would be my teacher, and he would remain my favorite teacher I had growing up. This was the year of the Barcelona Olympics and I will never forget watching the diving competition with the city of Barcelona in the background. Gorgeous. I also remember that year in school, in art class, we had to make these paper mache busts of people we admired. I chose Carl Lewis.

20 years ago, good lord I am old! Ok, truth be told I don't remember these games at all. Is that bad? I was 7, give me a break!

I love the Olympics. I love that atheletes who work hard every day competing in a sport they love get to show off their skills before the entire world. They don't do it for a million dollar paycheck or celebrity notariety like the atheletes we seem to value here in America (I know they do get endorsements, but it's not the same). Instead, they do it because they are passionate about their sport and have pride in their country.

I'm looking forward to the opening ceremonies tonight, which I will be enjoying with my family in Toledo-just like the old days. :-)


*Happy Friday, and thank you to everyone for making yesterday so special!

3 comments:

jmjana said...

what's insane is that 1992 was 16 years ago. is it weird i feel somewhat the same as i did then? oh lord help us.

katy said...

Yay for olympics, and I agree with everything you wrote!! You and I always loved the gymnasts too.... don't try to deny it :)

I'm jealous you will be home tonight!

Michael said...

I am glad you posted on my sight....happy belated birthday! I have it on the calendar but have no contact info for you or your sis. Send me your info and next time I am in cincy maybe we can get together!
jrandom99@yahoo.com

Jerri
(under my husbands name)