On August 29, I'm moving to a smaller apartment. I have to get rid of some stuff and, truth be told, I have needed to de-clutter for a while. Now, I don't have much "stuff" (I think all I have to be moved is a bed, dresser, nightstand and my clothing)--but, I do have a lot of clothes.
I spent my Sunday going through my closet and all the clothes in my dresser. I sorted, threw away, folded, cleaned and I realized a few things:
1. No one needs 14 pairs of jeans. While I have a reason for the each of the 7 pairs I saved, 14 was really quite excessive ;-)
2. I have WAY too many black shirts. Someone at work once commented I wear either black or white every day. I think those are the most flattering and professional colors, but yikes
my wardrobe is quite bland.3. I parted with a LOT of old clothes. I finally got rid of this adorable JCrew plaid dress I've had since my freshman year of college. (Yep, 9 years old). I loved that dress-loved the way it looked, love the memories I have from
when I wore it. But, I haven't worn it in nearly 4 years--it's just a dress, right!
4. While I got rid of a ton of clothes, I realized it is really hard for me to part with old t-shirts. Shirts from races and old sports teams--I just can't say goodbye. Even though I don't wear many of them anymore, I like the memories attached to them. So while I bought an under-the-bed storage container for them, I think I'd like to find out how to make them into a blanket or
something. I've seen people do that before and it's pretty sweet!
5. I have spent a sickening amount of money on clothes over the years. In my "to goodwill" pile, I got rid of at least 3 pair of name brand pants that still had tags on them. I h
adn't worn any of them in at least one year. It's so easy to see something on sale and think "oh, I can't pass up these $9.99 jeans", but it just ends up being such a waste--of money, of space, etc. In one episode of Sex and the City, I remember Carrie realizing she could've put a down payment on an apartment with the amount of money spent on the shoes in her closet. I felt like that today-I wonder what I could have done with all that money I have invested in my rather monochromatic wardrobe over the years...
2 comments:
I totally relate and have the same problem...
on a side note, when would you like to come and go through the amount of clothes and other items you left at my house when you moved out one year ago?
If you are referring to my Wooster Varsity Letter jacket, I'm not giving that away! Your closet is the perfect storage facility. That is what you get for buying a house with so many closets!
Post a Comment