Thursday, December 07, 2006

Starting with an Apology

I have immediate family members and a very close friend in my life that would never call themselves Christians. They may call themselves spiritual, or maybe even religious, but they would never label themselves a Christian.
Recently, I’ve been trying to figure out why I think it would take more than a miracle for these people to become followers of Jesus. I question my lack of faith. I wander at my inability to minister to them, while sharing freely with other people in my life—people who are more like strangers to me. It hit me while I was driving home tonight. At least one of the reasons I find it so hard to share Jesus with these close people in my life is because I know and have heard ridiculous stories of their interactions with other Christians. I get almost ashamed to associate or label myself the same name as these folks who, seemingly with good intentions, turned these people close to my heart off from Jesus.
So, I think my approach may be off. Clearly, I need major prayer that God can change my heart to have more faith that He really can work a miracle in their lives. But, I think these people need an apology first. To my friend who decided to go to a “seeker-friendly” church and was given the run around when trying to get involved in a small group to try to figure out what was meant when she heard Jesus died for her sins—I’m sorry. To my family who has a church parking lot near their back yard and church members who dump their trash in your vegetable garden, refuse to mow their section of grass, and distribute unwanted literature nonstop to your door—I’m sorry. Whatever it may be, we all have at some point experienced the disgusting hypocrisy that turns so many non-Christians away from God. So to those close people in my life (and anyone else to whom this may apply):
I’m sorry that we as Christians are so hypocritical. I’m sorry if we have in any way kept you from knowing Jesus. I’m sorry if we have lead you to believe that becoming a Christian also means becoming a conservative, close-minded, arrogant, elitist jerk. I’m sorry that we seem to get it wrong sometimes more than we get it right when it comes to living like Christ. I’m sorry we are so human. I'm sorry we don't often show acceptance or grace. I'm sorry we sometimes seem to have a simple answer for complex questions. My prayer is that you wouldn’t let our shortcomings and our humanness prevent you from knowing Jesus.

2 comments:

Amulya said...

I have to say that this is the first time I have heard a Christian apologize for the certain hypocrisies you mention. To be honest, it's refreshing to hear. I can't say this makes me want to get up tomorrow and pick up a bible. Nonetheless, its nice to hear. Of course, no one is perfect. And I will say that no one religion, no one faith is "perfect". Yes, certain Christians and their words/actions have turned me off to christianity entirely. However, I do know that actions of a minority cannot be used to label an entire population. I think that this post you wrote is just the kind of sentiment that can start to mend the ill will people feel towards "Christian extremists" (for lack of a better term).

And....I am starting to bore myself even. So I'll just leave this at...nice post. And thanks for it.

Liz said...

thanks for your response...and i agree that Christians need to take steps to "mend the ill will" as you put it that people have, rightly so, towards Christians...:)