Wednesday, November 01, 2006

grrrr...


Something happened at the gym yesterday morning that really irritated me. When I came into my gym (which is really just a glorified hotel gym at work) someone had flipped the radio on some Christian radio station. Now there is nothing wrong with Christian radio, and I am sure it serves a wonderful purpose to many people, but it just isn’t my cup of tea. There were a few people at the gym and after about 15 minutes, the morning Christian radio program was kind of getting on my nerves. ( I know what you’re thinking—and yes I have an Ipod, but usually nobody is in the gym and I can select my station of choice) So I hop off the machine I was using and call out generally asking if anyone minded if I changed the station. One guy chimed in with a “please do” and no one else said anything. So I walked over and put on station that plays a variety of music.
Let me explain that I did NOT put on an offensive radio station with explicit music or suggestive jokes. The station could nearly be considered a soft rock station. On with the story…I head over to the free weights and this man, who was walking on the treadmill, reading a book, while wearing a full three piece suit and dress shoes that AREN’T EVEN PERMITTED in the gym, stops his treadmill and goes over to the radio and turns it off without a word!
I don’t know why it bothered me so much, but I was so annoyed. Why didn’t he simply say that he didn’t want the station changed? To me it was ridiculous. Everyone else in the gym looked at me and smiled. And for some reason I wanted to confront this guy, call him out for what I considered to be a jerk move. All I could think was what a great display of Christianity...awesome. I kept thinking I really don't like associating myself with anything THIS guy is a part of.... I don't know..it just drove me nuts. Ever run into people/situations like this? I'm sure I overreacting at some level...
Tomorrow I stick to running outside and avoid the gym all together ... :) (See Annie, elipses are awesome ;) )

7 comments:

Steve Fuller said...

The big question is this...

What the heck was he doing wearing a three piece suit while walking on a treadmill? How miserable would that be?

I would just wear a wedding dress tomorrow to the gym. Your sly, nonverbal move will be all the confrontation you need.

Anonymous said...

Haha... yes. Wear a wedding dress. Apparently we all have our vices... his is christian music and a three piece suit in the morn. And you know you had on snoop dogg

Bragg said...

I will give you a dollar if you put on Snoop. Seriously.

Christian music is pretty terrible. Not only does it sound and feel "fake" but it also is way too cheesy to be heard in the morning.

How people connect with it, I will never quite understand.

sheplaysamartin said...

there's some good christian music out there... the thing is that the good stuff gets played on christian radio about 0.2% of the time... if that. most of what gets played is stuff that was mediocre about 5-10 years ago... it's not really the music; it's the system that makes the music and gets the music out there. and the fact that consumers of christian music are willing to listen to freaking terrible music because it has a 'good message.' (and i'm not even sure that's valid most of the time.)

(some of the best christian music, in my opinion, gets played more often on pop stations, ironically enough. and some of the best music, christian or not, is never played on the radio at all. geez. people still listen to the radio? ;)

whatever was being played on the radio, that 'my way or the highway' attitude displayed by the suit-wearing treadmill walker (he used machinery for that? someone else could have used it while he took a hike around the neighborhood in his suit) was pretty immature... we should call the radio station and have them pray for him. :)

Liz said...

I agree...I like some Christian music, but I don't think much of what I like is played on Christian radio. But then again I hardly ever listen to Christian radio, so I guess I don't know much about what they play...but I will take your word! How do I go about finding a wedding dress?

Steve Fuller said...

Wedding dress store.

Bragg said...

go to the thrift store. if you can't find a wedding dress, you're sure to find an awesome bridesmaid dress. unless you have a couple yourself, then you can save the $15.