
On Thursday, after I finish my 5 mile Turkey Trot in record speed, I will head up to Brookville, Ohio (if you haven't heard of it just think farm country) to eat Thanksgiving with my mom's family. I wish I were more excited. Don't get me wrong, I am WAY thrilled to be off work Wed-Sunday, but part of me wishes it was just my immediate family at Thanksgiving dinner. Let me explain, at my aunt's house there will be, at a minimum, 50 people who will walk through her doors and feast at some point during the day. My mom has 5 living brothers and sisters, plus her aunts/uncles, and they all have kids and grandkids, etc. It is a big buffet and a scary free for all when the food is served. During dinner, I will be asked many questions, but mostly it will be "so, liz, why didn't you bring a date, are you dating anyone, why not or what's he like, or is it serious or what happened to so and so?" It's kind of ironic, no matter what I accomplish--graduating college, law school, passing the bar, moving out of my parents house:)--my extended family is obsessed with my love life. And for some reason, the holidays bring out their never ending curiosity.
Is your family like that? The funny part is that my mom and dad are NEVER like that. My dad rarely acknowledges a boyfriend unless we've dated over a year or we break up. Then he will ask, so what happened to ___? My mom, the ultra feminist, is finally breathing a sigh of relief that I finished school and have a job before getting married. But my extended family is another story.
It's rough too because most of my cousins my age are married or engaged, so I'm an easy and open target. And I HATE that male cousins do not get the questions...what is that about?
So, over the years I've learned to be prepared for the questioning. I have many options: lie and say my current bf would have come but he is still awaiting parole, stuff my face with food so I can't talk, or maybe I could just say nope not dating anyone--why ya got some ideas? One year at Christmas, an older cousin of mine on my Dad's side noted that she answered questions like that with a "no I'm not seeing anyone seriously, but I sleep with lots of men." Apparently that response stopped family from questioning her (she is almost 40 and single, so I'm sure she has loads of experience). So there's that route...or NOT...
But if your holidays entail questions you'd rather not answer...good luck:) And if you have more creative suggestions, do tell!
4 comments:
The response to end all responses:
"He was planning on joining us, but when the pregnancy test results showed up positive, he split like the bastard I always figured him to be. I need a drink..."
Then go pour yourself a whiskey, take a shot, and then pour another for sipping.
See who asks you questions after that.
How about....
My partner is with her family today- they are much better cooks. But, as soon as Ohio legalizes same-sex marriage, we are planning on making the commitment.
good suggestions...holly you crack me up, when can you and jimmy move here?
Just pretend that you're Katy.
Post a Comment