Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Attitude Adjustment



**Note, I lost some of what I wrote and couldn't recover it, so this is a condensed version of my thoughts :) **

I have a problem. I am pretty sure it's a case of arrogance. There are times when I am so extremely critical of people. Last night I was at my small group (which really isn't a small group at all, I think there were like 20 people there) and when some people were sharing thoughts, I couldn't help but thinking in my head "what is that person talking about-did they even read the same thing I just read?" Instead of trying to get something from what they are sharing, I immediately think my analysis/thoughts are superior, that I am smarter and have a deeper analysis of what we just read. I HATE that I do that. I wish I could turn my critical self off and just appreciate people where they are. I have a feeling I would get a lot more out of a bible study, or a church service or anything if I stopped being so concerned with how their message adds to MY experience/knowledge of God and instead tried appreciate what that person might be experiencing about God. I mean, honestly, what do I know? Why do I think I am so smart? (ok true i am a lawyer! hehe)
I do it other places too--like at work. There was one man who was mentoring me when I first started and I immediately thought I knew more than him and found it difficult to bite my tongue and listen to his advice. I wanted to do it my way to show him my way was better, faster, more intuitive. Instead, I just ended up looking like I didn't really value his help.
I think if I try to be more open to other people's thoughts about God, I may be able to gain a deeper understanding of God. By determining that my insight is the only insight possible or the deeepest, I leave out room for error on my part, in turn keeping myself from learning things about God that I don't come up with myself. I need to be less stubborn, more open, and and definitely less know-it-all-ish (that's a technical word)
"We know in part and we prophesy in part, but when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away." 1 corinthians 13:9-10
So maybe what I believe is partly correct, it is most certainly not completely correct. I need to be more open to other people's insights about God before I will ever have a fuller understanding of what God is really all about, because i am fairly certain I know very little :)

1 comment:

Bragg said...

You don't have a problem Liz. There are many people who do this and DON'T recognize that the problem exists.

Changing to be more accepting/loving/whatever is a difficult process because we want others to adjust to our needs and styles of communicating.

I don't think there is any way to actually change the perceptions we have of people, but learning to become more patient in how they communicate starts with being more patient in ourselves.

Or maybe you are perfect like I am and this doesn't need to be said. I'm sure that's it...