Wednesday, November 19, 2008

5 miles uphill both ways

First off, please forgive me if this post is nasty. I'm trying to go a week forgoing my morning caffeine addiction for tea. It's not working. (Please don't say "well tea has caffeine". I know. It's significantly less. It's like the nicotine patch of caffeine.)

I typically run between 6:00A.M. and 6:45A.M. (Not necessarily for 45 mins but in that general time frame). On my typical loop I finish coming down Middleton to my street. On Middleton, just after it intersects McAlpin, there are always 2 Lexus SUVs sitting there, running with lights off. I've always been kind of freaked out about it-like what are they doing there?

Well, today my questions were answered when I saw a big yellow school bus barreling down Middleton. The kids hopped out of their warm SUVs and got on the bus, presumably off to school.

I'm sorry-WHAT THE HECK? Do you really need to sit in a car to wait for the bus? They make gloves, hats, and coats for that. And I'm guessing if you're parents are wealthy enough to own a Lexus they have money for a warm winter coat. Not to mention, if you have time in the morning to sit and wait for your child's bus-why not just drive your child to school?

When I was in Third Grade my sister and I began walking to school at Helke Elementary. We walked one mile there and one mile back-by ourselves. We even stayed home alone until my mom got done with work after school for an hour. Oh my! Child services would be called today. We never burned the house down, never opened the door for strangers.

Today our children have to sit in carseats until they are 40 lbs (or in New Jersey 80 lbs--seriously, I was in like junior high when I hit 80 lbs). They can't sit in the front seat. And now apparently they can't wait outside in the cold for the bus.

I know, I know. I have no kids. "The times" are harder. Whatever. There was still murder and rape and kidnapping when I grew up in the 80s. I'm not saying throw caution to the wind-but really with the SUV at the bus stop? Wow.

I may not have kids, but I do have a dog and if she had to wait at the bus stop I'd let her stay in the car....but only because they don't make coats for dogs! ;-) kidding....

3 comments:

katy said...

This post made me laugh. I think it was 4th grade when we started staying alone, but we did walk by ourselves before then.

This "waiting in the car for the bus" must be why I still have students coming to school in shorts and t-shirts. I'm like, "where is your coat? You have to go outside for recess." Student replies, "it's not that cold out." Ummm it's 30!

Michael Joseph Sharp said...

I recently watched a tv show called "Taboo" that covered the odd child-rearing practices of people.

And, .... there was a mother (European if I remember correctly) who was still breast-feeding her children, ... 2 kids, who were both old enough to talk and walk around. One was in school.

Creeped me out.

Now, if Fuller can resist responding to my response here, ... which I don't think he will be able to for obvious reasons, ... I will fall out of my chair purposely.

Jamie said...

It does seem ignorant to sit in the car with your kids and wait for the bus, however, when your kids are freezing while waiting for an unpredictable school bus it makes perfect sense.
Steven had frozen hair on winter mornings and he was driven almost to the front door of Glen Este. Imagine what would have happened to his luxurious locks if he would have had to stand outside. :o)