
Someone at work keeps putting up pictures of dogs who need homes on the fridge in our office kitchen on my floor. I think the person is a foster dog parent for one of the local humane societies.
I hate seeing dogs who have been neglected by their owners and dumped at the pound. Everyone wants a puppy, but what about the well-behaved, trained dog whose owners decide to have kids and "don't have time anymore" for the dog? I hate it. I think I will adopt both of the dogs on the fridge! Kidding-but those ads always suck me in.
Have you ever seen that ASPCA commercial with Sarah McLaughlin? All those sad puppy faces and rescued dogs? On more than one occasion, I've called and donated money after watching those commercials. They totally work!
Today I have to work until 7PM. I left the house at 7:30a.m. I feel like I am neglecting my poor pup. But, when I walk in the door I know she will be there, tail waggin' and just waiting for a belly rub. I love it.
We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam
How true.
4 comments:
I love dogs too. I always want to get one, but am afraid I will not have enough time to really give it the attention it needs.
And I love fi! She is seriously one of the cutest dogs ever!
For some reason, that quote made me tear up. I wonder if the same thing can be said about our relationship with God.
We are on our third rescue from Animal Friends Humane Society:
1. Shepper Poo (died of cancer)
2. Buddy Holly
3. Johnny Cash
The Director, Meg Stephenson, comes out to meet my speech classes, and you would be shocked to hear some of the statistics behind what you're talking about here. Simply atrocious! It boggles my mind that we still have laws that treat the abuse of animals like the abuse of inanimate property.
With that said, I have heard some of the best student speeches ever once they hear the cold facts behind neglect. So, there is hope, .... if only people would get more motivated.
I have never witnessed a relationship in this world that is a better example of God's relationship with and love for humanity than the way a dog loves-without condition, without getting anything in return.
Makes me want to cook Fi up a steak for dinner!
As to neglect, I've read that the number 1 reason people return dogs to the pound is because the dog has accidents in the house-usually the result of gross neglect or failure to train properly. Hardly the dog's fault. It literally sickens me.
Post a Comment