I will say this about Michael Vick being reinstated and then I promise to be done with it.
People should take advantage of second chances. We're all human and make mistakes. I can come to terms with the fact that unfortunately, our laws don't provide much protection for animals and crimes against animals don't (apparently) warrant much punishment. I understand the argument that he's served his time and should be allowed to resume his life-and career. I will never argue that a human life is less valuable than an animal's life. (If I had to choose between rescuing Fi or Steve from a burning building, of course I'd pick F...oh wait, I mean...kidding ;) )
Here's what I don't understand: If I were to apply for a job at the GAP, making minimum wage, I would not get hired if I were a convicted felon. In a similar fashion, I would be kicked out of the military if I committed a felony. However, in the world of professional sports, the almighty dollar reigns supreme. Just look at nearly any team in football as an example and you will find a plethora of convicted criminals. But we don't mind-as long as they can run fast, catch a ball, or stop the offense.
So few individuals are naturally gifted to play professional sports. And we bless their talent by showering them with millions of dollars. And here, we have an individual gifted with such talent who squandered away more money than most anyone makes in a lifetime, violently tortured and killed animals, and was convicted of a felony. But, sure, he's learned his lesson. Money beats out honor every time in professional sports. It is a business after all.
I hope Michael Vick shocks us naysayers. I hope he grabs hold of this second chance and proves that reform and rehabilitation (the *goals* of our justice system) are achievable.
I also hope that he donates his fat paycheck he'll soon be receiving to the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ah, the irony). But, I won't be holding my breath.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I agree with you 100 percent. What kind of example does Vick set for kids and NFL fans alike? If the crimes had been done to a person instead of an animal, he wouldn't be seeing anything other than prison walls for the rest of his life. I won't watch whatever team he plays for, esp. if it is the Bengals.
I hate to say it, but I really feel like it's only a matter of time before he does something else. Mistreating animals is like a gateway to other crimes. :(
Post a Comment