Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Awww how cute...

Fi is afraid of thunderstorms. To assuage her fear, she barks her head off at lightning and thunder. Oh wait, that isn't cute at all.

Last night, she had a near death experience at my hands. Seriously, I was ready to let that dog out the front door and lock it twice. Ok, now that I've written that, it seems very mean-but I am not operating on a full night's sleep! I've tried the following during thunderstorms:

1. Shutting her in my bedroom and ignoring the barking. Definitely does not work-still barked. I would've used her crate, but it was out in my car.
2. Leashing her and popping her collar every time she barks. My shoulder is sore today from doing this, and I can only image how her neck must feel this morning. Failure!
3. Forcing her to lay on the ground and hold a "stay" position. Riiiight.
4. Squirting her with water every time she barks. She looked like she had a bath and my bed was so wet I thought maybe she had peed on it. Failure!

I'm thinking of trying the next two things:
1. Citronella collar that squirts her when she barks. These make me nervous, though. I know it's not painful, but it still seems kind of weird to use.
2. "doggie downers"-or some other kind of mild sedative when I know a storm is coming. I've asked my vet about these before and while he discourages their use, he does use them on occasion. Lucky for me, I am going to the vet next Tuesday.

Thoughts? What am I doing wrong? Have you ever used a citronella collar??

I NEED CESAR!!!!!!!!

8 comments:

Fi's mom said...

i have no idea! Fi, stop barking or you are gonna get it!

jmjana said...

UMMMMMMMMMMMMMM....the CRATE WAS IN THE CAR!?!??! i would have DEFINITELY gone out and gotten it!
i thought it was at katys!!!!!!1

Liz said...

I have 2! One at my parents' and one in my trunk. But, I still think the crate would've ended up just like the bedroom-constant barking.

I found some calming treats online I am buying!!

Jamie said...

Maybe you do some sort of sensory therapy and play a recording of a thunderstorm over and over until she goes hoarse or gets over it?

Liz said...

That's actually a good idea. Not sure how to simulate lightning, but good idea! Hopefully I won't get evicted.

Michael Joseph Sharp said...

I've heard that hiding in the closet during a T-storm is effective.

Sarah said...

i'm all about drugging her. hahaha! :) if the vet gives you a hard time, claim she has allergies and have him write down the dosage for benadryl(thinking it's 1 mg per 10 lbs). there's also a sort of homeopathic choice called clomicalm for doggies!

Anonymous said...

Drop her off at Steve's. She can hang out with him in his closet, and maybe they can comfort each other.