Friday, May 08, 2009

Optimism

It’s the only way I can live my life: to embrace the possibilities, instead of fear the realities.
-Michael J. Fox


I've been meaning to purchase Michael J. Fox's new book since it came out earlier this year for several reasons, one of which is because my Dad has been diagnosed with some similar neurological symptoms-though not yet to the severity of Fox's. He is an inspiring man and I continue to be shocked by the high amount of optimism with which he lives his life.

Admittedly, I am generally a realistic/pessimistic person. I fear change and disruption of the way I think my life should pan out. Which is silly-I know. Fear shouldn't control me or my decisions, etc. But, somehow it does. It's something I'm always aware of and wishing I could fix. To live without fear, to really believe that I do not need to fear what realities may or may not transpire in my life because God is with me, a la Isaiah 41:10.

Anyway, that's definitely something I always am working on and praying about. So naturally I am inspired by people who have a generally positive, brave outlook on life. Especially when they have enormous obstacles to overcome and live with.

If you aren't going to go out and read the book, he's doing a special on television highlighting optimists all over the world. A summary of the story can be found here.

Optimism doesn’t mean being in denial. It’s not Pollyannish. It allows for the fact that things are tough. There can be tough optimism: an acceptance of obstacles, with a willingness to fight through them.

Michael J. Fox

No comments: