I'm not really one for New Year's resolutions. I have had a crazy year. I've ended some relationships, shifted the focus in my life (or at least am trying to!), and basically got off the roller coaster ride that had been my life for the last 3+ years. I started this journal and came across this poem and decided to adopt it as my new year's resolution/philosophy/attitude. I'm tired of playing the game that seems to be expected when you are in your mid-twenties. I'm exhausted from planning for some elusive future and dwelling in past mistakes/failures/heartaches. Instead, I want to live now. Today. I am seeking the abundant life God promises and the only way I know to do that is to live right now. The abundant life isn't waiting for us, it's not a destination to be reached. I am choosing to live that life now, this year, today.
Happy New Year everybody!
It seems we apologize so often for ourselves
We catch ourselves carefully constructing our actions
Keep the love steady--the acceptance strong--the understanding in place
I want to give it up
Fall out of line
Allow the way it goes
Telling the truth is like exposing the underside of our wings--we see that part only when we fly.
We all have to show up for our own lives. We all at our own age have to claim something, even if it is only our own confusion.
--Sabrina Ward Harrison
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I think that is awesome, Liz. And I agree with what you are saying. Will we ever recognize the abundance God does give in the present? I'm not sure, but I hope so.
Post a Comment