Technology is great. I love text messaging, IM-ing, emailing, etc. Voice mail is great. Call waiting is even better. But, by far, the best is caller ID. Is there anything better than seeing the number of your stalker ex flashing across your screen and being like HA, ignore!? Or being able to screen the call of the person who you KNOW will end up making a 5 minute story into a 50 minute analysis of the 5 minute story? It's great.
I started thinking, though, that with all this new technology, one of my favorite childhood (ok adulthood too) activities is going to be outdated soon. The prank call. How can you prank call somebody when he/she knows you are calling? Or when they screen the call because it says "restricted" or is some number they don't know? (Although I am a sucker for the restricted call...I have to know who it is--which is why I got pranked successfully on New Years--very clever!)
A friend of mine is an expert pranker. He actually got a friend of ours to repeat her credit card number over the phone saying she didn't pay her bar tab. It was hilarious. It makes me sad to think his skills won't be recognized much longer.
I was never very good at prank calls. I always ended cracking up laughing or was the person in the background laughing.
Bart's prank calls to Moe's are awesome on The Simpsons. One of my faves:
Bart: Can I speak to Seymour Butz please?
Moe: Hey, is there a Butz here? Seymour Butz? Hey, everybody, I wanna Seymour Butz!
Oh, wait a minute...
Listen, you little scum-sucking pus-bucket! When I get my hands on you, I'm gonna put out your eyeballs with a corkscrew!
Hilarious!
So did you ever make a really good prank call? Or, better yet, get pranked yourself? Well, you better preserve those memories, because I am willing to bet this is one pastime that may just be fading away....:)
(Note--this is NOT referring to the stalker-ish prank calls where you call and hang up 20 times in a row on the guy/girl who broke your heart...that should be avoided at all costs and is NEVER cool!)
3 comments:
ok a) when I call you just say, hey I need a 5 minute story.
b) why are you acting like pranking is going out? it will never die liz...just face reality
I'm a fan of 'reverse pranking'. Like when a telemarketer would call during dinner time and ask if you wanted to change your long distance plan...
i would immediately change my accent to something thick and ask them why i needed to have a long distance plan when all 16 members of my family were already living with me. then make some references to make them think i'm illegal or something.
There's a comedian who does this and has actually had the police contacted because the offending telemarketer thought he actually killed someone. You can purchase his cd because he records them.
Fuller, do you know who that is?
best prank I've ever done was either when...
1) in college sarah and I called some girl in the Miami directory named Lisa Catera and asked her if there was financing available to lease a Catera
2) using three way calling to call two people at once and have them believe the other is calling them. went something like this:
long awkward silence...
Friend 1: Hello
Friend 2: Hello
Friend 1: Hellllo
Friend 2: Hellllo
Friend 1: who is this?
Friend 2: what the ****?
Friend 1: what do you want?
Friend 2: you called me *******
I won't get into the rest of it ;)
Post a Comment