Thursday, January 25, 2007

Doubt It

I think it’s hard sometimes to forge ahead during times of doubt and questioning in our lives. Life feels great when I’m cruising through good times and making good decisions and when I feel close to God. Often, though, I go through periods of doubt where I literally question everything about my faith. I get frustrated, I try to wrap my mind around all the questions I have.

I believe doubt is healthy. Doubt can be great. But, doubt can also be debilitating. Doubt is useful when it challenges me to seek answers, go deeper, ask questions of smart people, and move forward. If when I am questioning, I am not also seeking answers, then I just stay in the same place. I'm not pursuing knowledge or understanding. In my personal experience, doubt has led to enormous growth. But, doubt can't be where we stay forever. A stagnant faith goes nowhere.

I am currently rereading The Life of Pi for this book club I am in. I read it about 3 years ago. It really makes you think. I came across this passage yesterday and it says exactly what I’m trying to say:):


“Doubt is useful for a while. We must all pass through the garden of Gethsemane. If Christ played with doubt, so must we. If Christ spent an anguished night in prayer, if He burst out from the Cross, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" then surely we are also permitted to doubt. But we must move on. To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.” (P. 28)

2 comments:

Matt said...

Hey I was thinking about the idea of Christ and doubt. I am not sure whether Christ actually ever doubted anything. I have blindly believed for a long time now that Christ new exactly what was going to happen in every situation. Thinking more about it now, I am still pretty convinced that He knew how it was going down. That said, He was fully human and in that He may have experienced doubt, I just doubt it. In the Garden I just think He prays an obvious prayer...God if there is another, less costly way, lets do that, if not I'm ready to go. He is never less than sure that He would die for the cause. He never doubts His ability to go through with it or God's ability to raise Him from the dead.

I could be wrong though, its just what I think...

Kristen Robbins Warren said...

i love that you're in a book club. it comforts me about my own social life:)