Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Name Game

First of all, did you notice the puppy of the day is a cairn terrier? I think that is a sign today will be a good day.

It must be puppy season. A couple of my friends have either just gotten or will be very soon getting new puppies. So exciting! And isn't it fun to pick out a name for that little furball?

When I knew little Fi was coming my way, I poured over name ideas. I liked Contessa and Lady. I liked Abby and Katy (just kidding! hehe). I looked up where the cairn terrier originated - in the "cairns" (rock formations) of Ireland and Scottland, so I began reseraching Celtic names. I came across Fiona and loved it. It meant "white, fair" or "vine." Translate that to white wine. Kidding!

And so she was named Fiona. Over her 5 years she's been called many other things though. I love how nicknames evolve. From memory, she's been called:

Fi
Fi Fi
Farona (sung to the tune of My Sharona)
Fioni (compliments of my nephew)
Furby
Furbaby
Rat dog (when she is bad)
Ratty
Bean
Little bean
Bear
Scruffy McScrufferton (when she's due for a grooming)

and on, and on.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

My sister and I are infamous nicknamers. We had a little white dog named Chance which was shortened to Chi and that became Chi Mongo Mongo of the Mongo Mongo Forest.

The best one by far is my mom and dad's golden retriever, Buddy. He began acquiring nicknames and Sarah and I would repeat all of them as his whole name..Our friends made fun of us, a lot. At the peak, he was referred to as:

Ahh Buddy Monogohelia Bioscience Monkey Washa Washa Washa Shaq Buddy Man Zoom Zoom Zoom! Chicafilla Buddy Man Van Goet Buddy ah Buddy.

Every part of the name has a meaning and an attached story.. Welcome to the (crazy) family, Liz! :o)

jmjana said...

and..TOTO!

katy said...

i love fi!!