Friday, January 15, 2010

The name game.

I haven't decided whether to change my name after Steve and I get married in June. I know, I'm terrible, right? While I wouldn't go as far as this author and say my name is my identity, it is rather strange to think of myself as no longer Liz B. I mean, this is the name I've had for nearly 30 years. I have a smattering of published case opinions with this name. More importantly, there's that 4x800 meter relay junior varsity league record still lingering out there from my freshman year in high school...

I kid. But, I kind of don't. I just don't know. I'm leaning towards changing it. I mean, it makes sense. We will be joined together as one (that phrase kind of makes me nauseous). We will be a new "family" for all intents and purposes. It's easier when dealing with joint accounts and things of that nature.

But, does it really mean I'm less of a wife if I don't take my husband's name? Everybody seems to have an opinion on it. My mother just assumed I'd change my name and when I mentioned I wasn't sure, she seemed thrilled. (Remember-my mother is a big feminist!). And then I have friends who seemed shocked that I'd even consider not taking Steve's name. At work it's a much higher percentage of women who keep their name professionally. So, I don't know what to do.

Either way I go, I'll tell you this much-it is just a name. Whether I'm Elizabeth Brashear or Elizabeth Fuller, come June, I'll still be me.

And it must be nice to be a man and never even have to consider this type of dilemma!

5 comments:

Steve Fuller said...

I could never imagine changing my name.

What about combining the two? How about Liz Fullbra?

Anonymous said...

I kept it all. My name is officially Leah Joy Clarke Wise; however, I've mostly gone by Leah Wise. Leah Clarke was and is still a part me, and I wasn't ready to let that go.

Jamie said...

I really thought I was going to trade up and finally get rid of the surname Popp.. lucky for me I married a Toadvine.
Brashear and Fuller are both really nice names. The only reason I'd recommend Fuller is because once you have children, having a different name can be a pain.

Good luck with your choice!

ps.. I've also known people who changed their middle name to the maiden name.. great option if you aren't fond of your middle name?!

jmjana said...

you'll still be YOU! and you'll still be married to steve! YAY!

Sarah said...

it is really strange having your name change. the first time i was called for at an appt as Mrs. Dabney.. i wasn't sure who they were talking to. :)