Monday, November 30, 2009

The Simple Things

We are officially in the Advent season-the season of waiting. But, it always ends up feeling like the season of rushing, doesn't it? Parties, shopping, cooking, decorating...and the list goes on. While those things can certainly feel burdensome at times, generally I really enjoy this time of year. I like participating in the season way more than some fancy gift under the tree.

On Friday, I strung the lights (all 1200 of them) on my parents' Christmas tree, and then as a family (with my Grandma there, too!), we put on all the ornaments, laughing and reminiscing as we went. My parents' tree is filled with ornaments they've collected over the years on travels or at important milestones, so it's really special to put up. It's certainly not a "decorative" tree, but it's sentimental, and those are the best kind. And yes, we could fill an entire tree with Outer Banks' ornaments!

Then, on Saturday, Steve and I went and picked out a tree for my house-my first real tree! It took me quite a while to string the lights on this one, and I was oh, slightly (read very) annoyed when we went to plug in the lights and half of one strand was completely out. Steve fiddled with the lights and even switched the fuse to no avail! But, with a fire blazing in the background, and Jingle All the Way on television (did you know there is a Christmas movie featuring Arnold Schwarzenegger? I didn't!), the ornaments were put on and now it's beautiful and smells incredible. We watched Love Actually first, but the process took so long we needed a second movie! Apparently Jingle All the Way is one of Steve's favorites.

Anyway, I was thinking yesterday that those are the things I love about Christmas. The little, simple things like putting up a Christmas tree, making Christmas cookies, watching Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer make this season magical. And no gift under the tree, no matter how sparkly, could replace the memories that come from the simple things at Christmas.

2 comments:

katy said...

I used to show Jingle All the Way to my fourth graders... a big hit :)

You should have taken a picture of the ornaments we saved for your tree! hee hee hee

Sarah said...

i love Love Actually.. cracks me up. :) and did you see Rudolph is on this week!? wtg on a real live tree! i just use pine scented candles. :D