I just spent way too much time looking up what the correct past tense of the word "plead" is.
My mind said "pleaded," but I also thought "pled" might be correct.
I learned both were right. "Pleaded" is the historically correct past tense of the word "plead." However, what was once a simple colloquialism, "pled" is now also accepted as the past tense of "plead." However, when using the past tense "pled," it should never be spelled "plead."
Whew. Don't lie. You're jealous of the exciting-lawyer life I lead.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
English is cooky.
If we apply deductive reasoning here, then this would be correct:
"I took the chicken and bred it before putting it in the oven."
But we all know that a chicken that has been bred is much different than a chicken that has been breaded.
No wonder other countries hate us and our speak!
ha ha! :) You have such an exciting job!
actually, i hear other countries hate us because of our freedom.
english sucks. the extent of my vocabulary sucks. the word 'sucks' sucks because it is so overused... by me.
i have decided to read, slowly and methodically, the oxford writer's thesaurus in an attempt to expand my english.
some people say lawyers suck... but i kind of like them.
Post a Comment