Friday, June 29, 2007

A Single Woman's Right to Shoes

On Saturday my cousin is getting married. I love weddings. Getting dressed up, eating, drinking, dancing...I've never had a bad time at a wedding. Plus, it's exciting to be in the presence of two people in love and excited to start their lives together.

That said, my sister and I were perusing their wedding registry to find the perfect gift and I started thinking--what if I never get married? I'll never get to have a gift registry. And I kind of think that's not fair.

I thought of all the gifts I've bought for the MANY wedding and baby showers I've attended. For some people I've even attended more than one of these showers--which means multiple gifts. So it will never be even until I get married and have kids.

One of my favorite episodes of Sex and the City is where Carrie gets fed up buying presents for wedding and baby showers (while having no husband or kids herself) and decides to "register" for a pair of Manolo Blahnik's. She decides the world discriminates against 30 something single women who don't have kids. I say, Amen.

I think I'm going to spend some time putting together a registry of my own. And I'm not wasting time with stuff like forks and china.


2 comments:

sheplaysamartin said...

i thought of sex and the city as soon as i read the first few lines of this post, and i don't even watch it often. how funny... i love how carrie's friend tells her she doesn't think she should have to pay for carrie's extravagant lifestyle right after throwing an opulent baby shower where they went on and on about the houses they owned. judgmentalism just rocks, doesn't it? :)

ps: you're not 30-something and single, liz. you never know... :)

Anonymous said...

Liz,

There is already a website created for single gals. The Well-Heeled Society allows you to not only celebrate your singleness, but to name the registry for whatever event you have somehow achieved without being attached to a man.

And, oh yeah, you have the option register for clothing and jewelry, as well as tableware and china if your heart desires-

But you CAN register for Manolos, Loubies and whatever else you Choos!!!!