Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Kittens v. Cougars

I am so annoyed. I was all set to put up a clip from 40 Year Old Virgin for some laughs after putting in a long day, and as I was sitting down to post it I flipped on the television only to see the end of The Age of Love. This 40 year old woman had just gotten cut, and she was so upset and pathetic looking. It was awful.

Now, don't get me wrong. When I was in college, we had Bachelor night, full of wine, laughing, yelling at the tv--it was great. But, the shows seem to get more and more ridiculous. And all they do is continue to perpetuate a myth that women are nuts--and will scheme, plot, lie, cheat, sleep around and whatever else to get a man. Meanwhile, the guy looks like the innocent, do gooder who has a hard time making sense of all these nonsensical women.

I'm tired of seeing shows where these professional, intelligent, attractive women end up looking like idiots for the sake of entertainment. It was entertaining for a while, and now it's just ridiculous.

It's also sad. While I'm sure much of the women's reactions to getting cut, or not getting a rose is staged, hearing that 40 year old woman sob about how her life is so depressing because she doesn't have love is so sad. And it makes me start thinking and realizing there are lots of women out there who really believe that finding a man will be all they need to complete and fulfill themselves. How sad and how universally desperate we all are for unconditional love.

So contrary to television's depiction--not all women are not desperate, pathetic, schemers who will sleep with a guy at the drop of a hat just to win him over. Some women are smarter, deeper, and more independent than that.

Ok, rant over. Tomorrow 40 Year Old Virgin.

No comments: