Sunday, June 03, 2007

Outside the Box

I heard someone state that in the city of Cincinnati there are 10 people per acre. If that seems nuts, back when the book of Romans was written, there were 150 per acre in Rome.

It got me thinking. Aside from everything else a city can be/represent, it makes me even more in awe of how big/diverse/encompassing God's love is. I am so "me" focused. And I think, ok, God loves me--an educated, white girl lawyer from Toledo. And I get caught up in that picture of God. So, the Bible says God provides--well that means God provides for me--an educated, white girl lawyer from Toledo. Etc, etc. I get to thinking that the way I experience God, is the way most people experience God. Of course, I am so way off.

Think about a city-about how many different kinds of people there are. Artistic, straight-laced, poor, rich, smart, uneducated, black, white, foreign, American, married, single, childless, dogless (like how I slipped that in)...and so many more. And God lives in and LOVES all those different kinds of people.

I find it hard to have perspective on the fact that God knows everything about me. About my life and my heart...and yet, God is all knowing about everyone. And the cool thing about a city (so far) is how all the differences among the abundance of people crammed into one area sheds some light on how big our God is...and on how His love can be experienced in so many different ways.

I love getting a bigger picture of God and a bigger picture of the people He loves. People who aren't just educated white girl lawyers from Toledo.

No idea if that made sense...it's late and I have to wake up at 4:45AM! :-)

No comments: