Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Snow Day!

So today at work I learned that there is no chance, no matter how bad the blizzard or how icy the roads, that the legal department at my work will ever close. In fact, two years ago when there was a bad snow storm, the company I work for sent out trucks to pick up employees. Wonderful. The hope of a snow day is over. There is nothing like when you are in school watching those schools run across the television screen and hoping for yours to be there. Two days in a row my sister, with whom I live, has had a snow day. I get so jealous, I'm practically mad. But, she is quick to remind me I chose my profession. So, while she is home sleeping in and drinking hot chocolate, I am at work trying to figure out bankruptcy, tax and wills (my assigned area of expertise, feeling totally clueless...grrr). I can't help but think, what was I thinking going to law school/!?!?!?!

Top 10 Reasons I should have been a teacher:

1. June, July, August
2. Snow days and delays
3. Shorter work days (though Katy denies this despite the calculations I did tonight)
4. My student loans would be about 90% less
5. Getting out so early and beating rush hour traffic
6. Friday happy hour with the staff (oh wait, that might be every job ;) )
7. Teacher appreciation breakfasts (in general, a lounge filled with food)
8. Gifts from students at Christmas
9. Being able to pop in a movie when you're tired
10. Spring break, Christmas break, and all national holidays OFF

If I could turn back time....;-)

6 comments:

Amulya said...

the threat of cold and flu season is enough to make me happy I am not a teacher ;)

Bragg said...

Reasons to not be a teacher:
1. unnecessary licensure exams
2. No Child Left Behind Act
3. a 6 hour day at school, but another 8 hours at home
4. late night parent teacher conferences
5. dealing with kid's parents who don't care until you actually discipline their child for something they should be disciplined for at home
6. being under-paid
7. writing a rationale for everything you do, including why you chose that type of question for a test
8. Answering the administration why you chose to have a student clean desks with a cleaning solution during a detention without parent permission.
9. lunch at 10:30 am
10. can't date your students.

Steve Fuller said...

Bragg...speak for yourself on number 10.

And teaching is VERY difficult. I work at least 20 hours per week, 8 months out of the year. I'm not sure how I do it.

jmjana said...

Reasons to not be a teacher:
1. Stone
2. TJ

Reasons to be a teacher:
1. Stone
2. TJ
3. You have cool friends that come to your room and clean it with you :)

Amulya said...

Ok I'm am totally feeling your wanting to be a teacher right about now. It's the second day in a row that every school in this city is closed because of negative temps. Even my old high school is closing...which can only be a sign of the apolcalypse.

Anonymous said...

Number 1 Reason to not be a teacher:

Having to spend all day around people that never stop complaining about their job or how much money they do or don't get paid to do it.

Isn't it just tiresome, after awhile?

Bragg didn't like it and (I guess) stopped doing it. I can respect that.

What annoys me is teachers that keep teaching but never shut up about how hard their life is and how underpaid they are.