
I am a clutz. I am pretty sure I fall more than the average person. Yesterday morning the temperature was about freezing. I just assumed with all the melting that had been going on, there wouldn't be any slick spots. I was wrong. To try to get out of the way of an oncoming bus, I leaped over this huge snow mound only to land on a slippery puddle of black ice. Of course, I crashed to the ground, right on my knee, and I have a nasty bruise. Three high school kids witnessed my fall while waiting at their bus stop...it was pretty humiliating. One boy did ask if I was alright and offered to help me up...but I was so embarrassed!
Anyway, I finished my run and thought about how many times I've fallen...it's ridiculous. So I made a little Top 5 of the best stories. Enjoy ;)
My Top 5 Craziest Falls
1. Last August--running out to the garage to get a popsicle, slipped on a rug, broke my foot
2. Senior year of college crossing Beall Ave., cars stopped, I trip, book bag comes flying over my head, slamming my head into the street.
3. Junior year of high school--on crutches for a stress fracture, decide to use them to go down a friend's basement steps, end up with a concussion. My guy friend's words right before I head down "Liz, are you sure you can get down there ok?"
4. Mountain biking with my Dad, sophomore year of high school--while taking a sharp turn I realize there is a bee on my arm, I freak out, lose control of my bike and plummet. Sliced up my arm, probably should have had stitches, but my Dad made me finish the bike ride. Then he only let me get out of swim practice for one day because "the chlorine is the best thing for bad cuts like that." My dad is a teacher, clearly not a doctor.
5. Senior year of college--using the treadmill on the cruise boat. The guy using it before me hops off, I hop on--only to realize he never stopped the treadmill. So I go flying off into the elipticals, and end up with a nasty burn/bruise/cut all over my leg and stomach. Looked great in the bikini.
I mean, seriously, this is just a highlight of the funniest, most ridiculous falls...not even counting all the childhood injuries, all the times I fell during cross country races, or practices. Holly, I think you might be right...skiing really might be out of the question ;)
6 comments:
Liz, you make me laugh. Can I add one...I was in early elementary school and on a rope swing during recess. I tried to jump off to go get in line for milk break because it was Jenny Roths birthday and she brought cupcakes and I smashed into the trunk of the tree and cut through my eyelid.
And once when I had a babysitter, I got a wire hanger stuck in my eye. Joan Crawford was right.
Maybe this is why I want to touch peoples eyeballs and move their contacts around.
Wow, I really just turned this into all about me. Sorry Liz, I just feel like I can relate.
I think this may be my very favorite list ever. This is why we have the saying "I totally pulled a Liz" or "OMG...are you Ok? That is so something Liz would do." My other favorite Liz moment, which has happened about a hundred times is when you are running and just trip for no reason and then curse at the sidewalk and yell about a non-existent crack which caused your fall. HILARIOUS!!! And, not that I am glad that you broke your foot or anything but I just think it is too fitting that you had a broken foot as a bridesmaid. I secretly laugh when I watch my wedding video and you are limping down the aisle with a smile/grimace on your face...tooo bad i can't put a link to that. Life would just be so boring without you Liz!!
That was a fun read. Too bad I can't relate, because I am perfect.
...TOTALLY kidding!
Annie--how does one get a hanger in her eye?
Holly--I want to watch the wedding vid when I come...I'm guessing Jimmy carrying me out to the shuttle post-wedding won't be on there :) And, I realized I forgot the rollerblade fall outside Stadium House...haha.
Amulya--are you coming this weekend? I heard a rumor.
AM IS COMING THIS WEEKEND????????? I know somewhere you can get strep!!!
I'm coming down on Saturday...but should I come prepared with surgical masks??
Post a Comment