NOTICE: THIS BLOG IS VERY WHINY AND COMPLAIN-Y...FYI!
My foot has been killing me this week and it's depressing me. I hate being out of shape. I broke my foot the last weekend of July right after I finished the Bar Exam. What a lovely way to top off 3 months of grueling study. I was running out to the garage at my parent's house, racing my niece and nephew out to get popsicles in the garage freezer and in leaping down the garage step I slipped on a rug and somehow turned my foot in such a way as to break the 5th metatarsal. ( i really have no idea what that means )
All I know is I have realized in the past 2+ months how much i LOVE and miss running. There is nothing like being able to drop everything, lace up your shoes, and go on a long, mind-cleansing run. I've been running since I can remember and competitively all the way through college and finally a marathon in law school. When our family toured Europe, I loved that I took a long run in every city and it was a GREAT way to see the sights while the sun was rising or setting....incredible. Now, I grant you that I am also slightly obsessed with working out. In 7 years I haven't taken more than 2 days off a week...that is until the broken foot. (my sister thinks i'm a nutcase....maybe she's right :) ) I remember laying in my bed after going to the emergency room crying--not so much that i was in pain (though that was definitely part of it) but more so because I knew it would be months before I could run pain free again.
Finally in mid-Sep. I got the doctor's good word that I could start running again--YAY. The bad side is this: I can't run every day and I can't run very long. And it's just so darn frustrating.
I'm realizing it's going to take a lot of time and patience before I can be competitive again. I probably won't get an age group award in this year's turkey trot, and I'm just going to have to deal with that and be glad for small progress. It's hard when you're competitive though. I get this attitude like well if I can't run fast or hard then why even bother...kind of ridiculous i guess. I'm trying to use this experience to learn not to be so ocd about running...but ahhhh it's so frustrating:) and this wet weather is NOT HELPING. (i have always been skeptical about people who say their bones they have broken hurt when it's wet, but I'm here to tell you it's true!)
So yea, humility is a good thing learn, and a hard thing to experience...
and on a positive note..my doctor said the average person breaks two bones in his/her life....so I guess one down, right?!?!
7 comments:
liz...
i wonder if this is something you have to surrender ;)
I crushed three vertibrate when I was 11 years old. Does that count toward the broken bones/lifetime achievement? Cause if not, then as a 27 year old, I'm kind of nervous.
bragg-as long as vertibrae are considered bones, you're money and can basically be worry free when it comes to fracturing bones....at least that's what my doctor said :)
hmm...is crushing a bone the same as fracturing?
jana--surrender who? ;)is 15 days up yet?
bragg,
how the crap did you leave that out of the from birth till now story? that's big
liz,
we are on day one. i suck. im buying you your manicure. i promise.
You are a great runner even though you are a little gimpy. You still kick my butt! :)
by the way jana, when i was 11 i was picked up by my ankles and dropped straight on my head. that impact caused a crushing of three vertibrate. i was stuck lying in a bed for like 6 weeks and my mom wouldn't let me play football.
and now you know the rest of the story
I liked your line about "if you can't run fast or hard then why bother." It's like when people say, "Well, if I can't do EVERYTHING then I might as well not do ANYTHING." And then we sit around bored because, well, why bother...
Post a Comment