Sunday, October 15, 2006

Change can be good





I have now been in southern ohio for two months. Prior to moving from Toledo, I was so unsure of leaving. I am one of those people who fears change. I like routine, it can be quite comforting. But 3 years living at home and going through law school left me feeling a extremely empty. Working in a competitive atmosphere continually and a social life that became out of control at times made me feel more disconnected from God than I ever really have been. I remember talking to a good friend and having her comment that some things I had told her "just seemed so out of character for you Liz." I realized I was more than unhappy, but I could't figure out how to get back a more positive outlook and a more faithful existence.
Recently the small group I'm in has been talking about hearing God's call in your life. The emphasis is on listening, cutting out noise in your life and listening for the whispers from God that indicate what we should be doing, where we should be,etc. While I definitely believe and wish I spent more time just listening and focusing on that, I think too sometimes God says enough is enough and shouts at us pretty loud/smacks us upside the head and kinda says um hello...you are so not hearing me! I love that He doesn't give up on us when we're out there making mistakes, doing destructive stuff and going farther and farther away from Him. For me, He made it obvious that I needed to move to Dayton, pretty much impossible not to move here financially. He pretty much shouted in my ear that continuing the way I was in Toledo was NOT going to cut it and I'm so glad He did. I love that God wanted to keep me from more hurt, more mistakes, and more bad decisions.
So yea, change can be great! Even if it is scary and your parents are no longer paying for your food ( i mean my mom gave me 5bucks a day for coffee and pop...that is hard to give up!) But since I've moved, life has really seemed incredible. And Annie and Jana, pictured above, are definitely a part of that! Along with my awesome sis Kate and my lovely dog :) Good times here and definitely a reconnection with God that my life was lacking. So maybe I'll be more likely to embrace change, rather than fear it....one can hope right?!?!

14 comments:

jmjana said...

i LOVE that you moved here...i just LOVE it

Bragg said...

I think too sometimes God says enough is enough and shouts at us pretty loud/smacks us upside the head and kinda says um hello...you are so not hearing me!

It's amazing that He does indeed do this, but it usually occurs with a painful slap from a stinging hand. Something we might need to wake us up a little bit, you know...

I love that He doesn't give up on us when we're out there making mistakes, doing destructive stuff and going farther and farther away from Him.

Until you can put your finger on unconditional love, this makes no sense to anyone. And it still doesn't make sense once you have...

I'm glad you moved to Dayton as it means I've gotten to meet you and hang out with you in a couple different settings. And despite your affiliation with the steelers (I refuse to address them as a proper noun), and the fact that you moved to Dayton (seriously, what's in Dayton?), I think your fit in this crowd of people is good.

BTW, did you get a haircut, or was I just too tired to notice?

jmjana said...

bragg,
there is NO way you could be a SB
that was the nicest comment i have ever read on the planet

Bragg said...

nope, i'm a selfish bastard and you're just going to have to deal with it.

Liz said...

bragg,
i def think that it's often something painful that creates the impetus for us to really wake up to what God wants. I also think sometimes it's just the closing of other opportunities that makes it clear. (ie. no job in Toledo despite every effort to stay there).
And thanks for the nice comment...I love living here and meeting all you fun people (and eating graeters for the first time!)..and i actually love the drive down to cincy...crank up the radio, witness the fall leaves...it's great. You are definitely not a SB (i think i figured out what that means). All these code words Jana! i will never catch up!
And no, no hair cut, i just let it air dry yesterday so it was a little ratty:)
GO STEELERS! (notice the all caps)

Bragg said...

notice what now? i can't see what it is you're trying to convey in that message at the end.

i def think that it's often something painful that creates the impetus for us to really wake up to what God wants.

damn right. when we are out of answers that we create, that others tell us, that we try and reside in, do we just fall prostrate (either literally or figuratively) and ask for God's hand in Mercy and Grace. There's still some painful walking to be done following those moments, but it leads to the change God wants to see in us.

Bragg said...

oh, and i'm still waiting to hear what's in Dayton. Besides a museum, an airforce base, and some paper mills...

I once had to stop at a hospital in Dayton for my friend's little brother who was suffering through a severe asthma attack as we were driving through...

I also hung out in the party district a couple times, at Wright State, and I may have even come to like said musuem but don't visit enough because of a lack of willing individuals who are either a) interested in the content of that museum, or b) have lost a bet to me to go to that museum. So yeah...

Selling points?

Liz said...

Ok so I've been in southern dayton for 2 months, i dont know all the selling points since a lot of my time has been spent in west chester or cincy...but here are some high points:
1. My job is 4 mins from my house (ie lunch at home and more sleep)
2. The Wright Brothers are from here! Yay history!
3. The Oregon district is fun--though the one time i went I had to park at a porn shop which was not fun
4. I was born in Vandalia, a mere 15 miles North..that should really be enough.
5. The sun always shines in Dayton (ok i am running out of things)
6. I live with my twin and we have a neighbor named Franz (ie. cheap rent)
7. It is only 3 hours away from Pittsburgh
8. There are parks for me to walk my dog in
9. It's a great location--40 mins from cincy, 1 hr from cbus, 2 from Toledo and oh yea 3 from Pittsburgh
10. I am 2 miles from a great mall (which in retrospect is NOT a good thing)

whew, glad i made it to 10...
steelers rule, bengals drool!

Anonymous said...

She was writing STEELERS!!!! Maybe you couldn't hear because there are 5 Superbowls rings jammed in your ears.
Liz you are the all time best at top ten lists.

Bragg said...

still not getting what you're saying. something about it's not fair to pull on hair because that's just mean?

Liz said...

pulling a person's hair...seems rather juvenile to me. very unprofessional behavior in a professional sport :)

Bragg said...

ouch that hurt my feelings. meany head poopoo face.

Anonymous said...

I think girls fight by pulling hair.

Bragg said...

which is why boys cut their hair to begin with...