Last night I finished Julie & Julia, the memoir now made into a movie, by Julie Powell. Let me first say that I am biased-I absolutely adore memoirs. I think every person has a fascinating story-and I could read memoirs only for the rest of my life and be happy.
So-Yes, I enjoyed the book. But, I think I was more fascinated with Julia Child than I was with Julie Powell. But, that's ok. I mean the book was partly about Julia Child. At the end of the book, Julie Powell writes about how she was inspired by Julia Child, and I wish I had the book on me (here at work) to quote from it because it was exactly why I loved the book.
Essentially, Julia Child is an inspiring person not because she was a great chef or an entertaining person to watch on tv. She's inspiring because she took the time to figure out what she loved to do-and then she learned how to do it, and did it exceptionally well. When she and her husband were in Paris, she discovered food like she'd never tasted before and decided to go to culinary school to learn how to make it. And that lead to the rest.
And, most importantly to me(!), she was 37 when she started all this food business and became successful doing something she loved.
That's comforting to me. Some people know exactly what they are passionate about and easily find careers that match up. I think others of us aren't sure. We head down one path and it's ok. We might even have a modicum of success at it. But, we're still free to pursue and think and find that thing that we feel like we were meant to do or be a part of.
And it's ok if you don't have it figured out at 28. ;) If only I could find a job that encompasses the beach, wine, delicious food, oh, and dogs! Hmm.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Open a dog boutique at the outerbanks next to my bed and breakfast, which will feature yummy wines :)
i heart your new blog layout
lovin the new layout!
viagra suppliers viagra vs cialis viagra jokes is viagra safe for women generic viagra india does viagra really work viagra cheap buy online viagra uk cost pill viagra rrp australia buying viagra in uk what is viagra where to buy viagra homemade viagra viagra manufacturer
Post a Comment