Sunday, August 02, 2009

Legacy


Beware-this is a bit "jumbly."

My mom's mother died on Sunday morning. We grandchildren called her Granny Mom, which was invented by my brother (the first grandchild) because he kept calling her "mom".  And, well, it stuck. She has suffered dementia for the last few years and was in a lot of pain, so part of me is glad she doesn't have to experience feeling confused and frightened most of the time. 

I felt rather nostalgic all day. I kept thinking back to childhood memories of eating pop-tarts and Mikesell's puffcorn in her kitchen-which were always on hand. And those mashed potatoes...often imitated, never replicated. I was thinking on my drive home from Toledo (and my 10 year high school reunion) today how our days in this world really are quite short. And as I get older, time goes by faster and faster. I was struck with the thought, wow, I really don't want to waste time because this is my life. Not to be morbid, but funerals (and reunions) have a way of forcing you to put your own life in perspective. Am I doing what I'm really passionate about? Am I living life or just surviving it?

Anyway, my grandparents (my grandfather died in late February of this year) definitely lived life. While they certainly experienced tragedy (three of their children died before they did-two of them quite tragically), they didn't wallow in self-pity or spend their lives longing for the next best thing. They loved, and were devoted to, their family. And ultimately, this is their legacy. 

 As I looked around the filled church at my grandfather's funeral, I kept thinking: this is their legacy-this huge family. My grandparents had 9 children, 6 of whom are living today. There are countless grandchildren, great-grandchildren, cousins, aunts, uncles, etc. Before they had to be transferred to a nursing home, my grandparents' house was filled with pictures of their family. Even their Christmas tree was decorated with pictures-old pictures of relatives who had passed away, and new pictures of the grandkids and great grandkids. In their home they were always surrounded by family.

And now, we are blessed to be surrounded by each other. A big, close family devoted to each other because of two simple people who chose to share their lives together. And while we will certainly grieve together at their passing, even more we will celebrate together two lives that were truly lived. A life actually lived-now that is an inspiring legacy.

2 comments:

Lori said...

Spoken very beautifully, sending hugs to you!

Jamie said...

What an amazing gift your grandparents have given you.. the ability to recognize that life is best lived when love is your greatest treasure.