Sunday, April 13, 2008

worst case scenario


On Wednesday, my roomate and her boyfriend took my dog on a little "road trip" down to see her boyfriend's dog. On the way, they put the window down so Fiona could stick her head out (apparently every dog's dream). I've never let her do that before--I've always feared she would either: a. get something in her eye or b. jump out the window and be gone forever. Steve was quick to tell me it wasn't fair to deny Fiona the joy of feeling the wind through her fur just because I was afraid something might happen. Is Fiona being safe worth denying her exciting experiences like sticking her head out of the window in a car and instead relegating her to stare out the window on the back of the couch?

I know it's so silly! But, I was thinking today that my typical approach to relationships/friendships is sort of similar. Instead of being open, hopeful, and trusting; I'm defensive, closed off, and anxious. I call it the "worst-case scenario" approach. I prepare myself for the worst possible thing that could happen...and basically wait for it. In the meantime, I protect myself as best I can. 

But, I'm kind of tired of this method. And I think it's emotionally immature. Sure, it makes sense that when you've been lied to, treated poorly, or had your heart broken you will guard yourself more carefully, but I think at some point the past just needs to be let go. I can't have a  healthy relationship if I'm always waiting for something bad to happen. I won't be trusting and open--two things no relationship can survive without. 

Anyway, it would be ridiculous if I stopped driving my car because I was afraid I would get in a wreck. It's silly for me to stop running outside because there's a chance I could get attacked. And in the same regard, it's stupid to not be trusting, graceful, and open in a relationship just because something bad might happen or has happened in the past. 

I don't know what it is about our hearts getting broken that is so incredibly scary. In other areas of our life we want to risk and lead adventurous lives. But, with our hearts--mine in particular--I flip into self-defense mode.  I  think I miss out when I approach relationships by envisioning the worst case scenario, instead of focusing on what is good and potentially exciting. I also think it's incredibly selfish to constantly be concerned with "what will happen to me? How could I be hurt?" 

It's time for me to grow up, to stop being so concerned with myself and with what might go wrong. I have one life and I think I'd rather stick my neck out the window and take a chance rather than sit on the couch and watch, always wondering what it might feel like to be hopeful instead of anxious.

*note--the above picture is NOT my dog, nor is at cute as the birthday card that I will continue to circulate until Hallmark stops making it...but you get the idea 

3 comments:

katy said...

I want to see fi out the window! Get a pic...

Jamie said...

what breed of dog is Fiona?

Liz said...

Fiona is a cairn terrier...same breed as Toto from the Wizard of Oz, except she is wheaten (blonde-ish) not black. :-)