As much as I wish I weren't, I am definitely a type "A" personality. I obsessively make lists. Adhering to a schedule brings me comfort. I am a control freak. I like things done my way. I compulsively analyze stuff.
I think my personality is the reason my job is very stressful for me. I try so hard to be in control of everything, but there is so much that happens in a case that I simply cannot manage. I can't do everything and I have to rely on other people to do their job right--and that's hard for me, particularly when they don't do their job right.
On Thursday, I tried something new. You might think this is cheesey, but it really did work. Each time I took a little break--whether it was a ride down the elevator or a trip to the bathroom, I recited silently to myself Psalm 46:10 (be still and know I am God).
All it took was a moment for me to remind myself everything--work, relationships, finances, the future--everything is under God's control. Yes, God puts us in situations and presents us with opportunities to be available for Him to reach the people of this world, but, He is still in charge. God is much bigger than the petty stuff I allow myself to be consumed by at times.
In those short moments, I was able to remind myself God doesn't want me spending my time obsessing over why my Motion didn't make it to Stark County overnight even though the DHL receipts indicate otherwise. He wants me to calm down, to feel free, and to know He is God.
No comments:
Post a Comment